Description
The war memorial next to the Treasury Building in Basseterre was moved to make away for the building of a Post Office. The new memorial was built at the northern end of the Irish Town Bay road near Ocean Terence Inn. It was unveiled by Princess Margaret on 11th November 1955. The memorial has two bronze plaque one commemorating 20 servicemen from World War One and the other 6 servicemen from World War two. The memorial is also known locally as "The Cenotaph' and has three 'tombs' that lie in front of the obelisk. Each one is constructed from the stone of one of the three islands which compromised the colony of St.Kitts, Nevis and Anguilla. Every November, the Defense Force, the Police Force and various religious denominations gather at the memorial to remember those who died in service during the two world wars. The remembrance service and parade start at 8a.m. on the Sunday closest to the 11th November each year. The memorial was originally white in colour, but has since weathered over the years to a natural stone colour.
Credibility: |
|
|
1 |
|
Leave a Comment