Verified

Georgian House

14:20 Jun 21 2018 South Independence Square, Basseterre, St.Kitts

Georgian House
Description
This structure remains one of the more outstanding examples of 18th century urban architecture on St.Kitts. It is located on South Square Street, South if Independence Square, and along with other buildings surrounding the Square, is thought to have at one time stored slaves in its cellars prior to their transfer to the plantations. This most English of town houses was built sometimes after 1790 By 1836 it was owned by James Berridge. He was a leading merchant who owned several vessels that traded amongst the islands, as far as Halifax and Bermuda, and its times of peace, even with America. Berridge came to St.Kitts in 1794 at the age of 20 'with no resources but his own abilities'. BY 1812 he was not only a thriving merchant, but also treasurer of the island, Lieutenant Colonel of the Windward Regiment of Foot and Aide de Camp tp the Governor, In the early 20th century, the house was home to the prominent businessman Burchell Marshall and his family. It was later used by the St.Christopher Club, often referred to as the Gentleman's Club.


Features
Credibility: UP DOWN 1
Leave a Comment
Name:
Email:
Comments:
Security Code:
14 + 7 =

Additional Reports

La Guerite Reservoir

17:13 Jun 21, 2018

La Guerite, Village, St.Kitts, 0.43 Kms

Independence Square Bassterre

16:13 Jun 20, 2018

Basseterre St.Kitts, 0.62 Kms

The Masquerade

18:23 Feb 02, 2015

St. Johnson Village, Mc knight Village, 1.52 Kms

Buddies Beach Bar and Grill

15:06 Jun 20, 2018

The Strip, Frigate Bay, St. Kitts, St. Kitts & Nevis, 1.65 Kms

Cathy’s Ocean View Beach Bar and Grill

14:44 Jun 20, 2018

Timothy Beach, Frigate Bay, St.KItts, 1.7 Kms